1. The Cebu Pacific Juan for Fun Backpacker Challenge, a contest that will bring five (5) teams of students to six (6) local destinations in the Philippines for an all-expense paid fun adventure, is open to college students aged 18 years old and above, residing in the Philippines and enrolled in an undergraduate program in a college or university in the country for the school year 2012-2013.
2. Interested students must form a team of three (3) members. Members of a team need not be students of the same school.
3. A student can join multiple teams and apply more than once.
4. To apply:
- fill out online entry form here:
- prepare an audition video:
- must answer as creatively as possible the question: How far will your team go for a fun adventure?
- must feature all three (3) members of the team
- must be a minimum of two (2) minutes and maximum of three (3) minutes in length
- may be in any of these formats: data, mp3, mp4, mpeg, avi, wmv
- must have a hi-res file available upon request
- attach audition video to your entry form along with scanned copies of the team members’ valid IDs
- receive a confirmation that your application has been received
5. Deadline of applications is on August 16, 2012, 12 midnight.
6. All applications (including any video footage submitted by the applicants) become the sole property of Cebu Pacific Air. The Organizers shall have the right to use such video footage in any and all media, nationwide in perpetuity with no obligation to the applicants.
7. All applicants must be in good physical and mental health and must be aware that, and sign releases attesting that, the activities in the Challenge may involve risks and hazards, and that participating in the Challenge may expose them to these risks. Teams must accept and assume all risks which arise in any way from their participation in this Challenge, and will not hold Cebu Pacific and its Organizers responsible.
8. By submitting an application, each applicant agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless Cebu Pacific Air and its Organizers from all claims and damages arising out of his/her participation in the application process or the Challenge itself, and to have his or her name, voice and likeness used at Cebu Pacific and its Organizers’ discretion as part of the Challenge, or as part of promotions for the Challenge, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised.
9. Immediate family or members of the same households (whether related or not) of employees, officers, directors and agents of Cebu Pacific Air and its Organizers are not eligible to be participants of the Challenge or to participate in this application process.
TOP FIVE (5) TEAMS
10. Additional documents including original IDs, original copies of medical clearance, and indemnity forms will be required of the shortlisted teams. Interviews may also be conducted.
11. Top five (5) teams will be chosen based on completeness of requirements and their audition video. Criteria for judging the audition video:
- Content (does it aptly answer the question “How far will the team will go for a fun adventure?”) – 40%
- Creativity (does it creatively present the said answer to the question?)- 40%
- Execution (is the video engaging and enjoyable to watch?) – 20%
12. Top five (5) teams will be announced on August 20, 2012. Announcement will be made online at www.juanforfun.com, facebook.com/cebupacificair, and twitter.com/CebuPacificAir. The teams will be notified as well through phone call and email.
13. Top five (5) teams will converge on the day of the Send-Off on August 29, 2012. Transportation to Send-Off venue will be arranged by Cebu Pacific Air. Venue will be disclosed to Top 5 Teams upon notification of qualification.
14. During Send-Off:
- the teams will be thoroughly briefed on the Challenge proper.
- the six (6) local destinations will be disclosed.
- the teams will be handed their gear: official shirts, point-and-shoot and video camera for documentation, and pocket money of Php30,000.00 per team
- the teams will be given time to research on their destinations to prepare for their trip.
- the teams will be assigned their Team Marshal.
THE TEAM MARSHAL
15. Each team will be assigned assigned a Team Marshal, whom they cannot go anywhere without at any point in the Challenge.
16. Team Marshal acts as chaperone, ensures that the team abides by the rules, and monitors the progress of the team during the Challenge.
17. Team Marshal is not there to help the team win in any way such as by giving travel tips or offering extra money.
18. The Team Marshal will have his own pocket money. His expenses during the Challenge (i.e transportation, food, accommodations, entrance fees to tourist spots, etc) will not be covered by the Team’s pocket money.
19. The Challenge will take the teams to six (6) local destinations in the Philippines via Cebu Pacific Air. Challenge proper happens August 29 to September 2, 2012. All flights will be pre-booked and confirmed. The destinations will be undisclosed until the day of the Send-Off.
20. The challenge to the teams is to do the most number of tourist/local activities together in a particular destination within the duration of the trip with the given pocket money of Php30,000 per team. Examples of activities: visiting museums, theme parks, churches, and other tourists spots, trying the local delicacies, and other fun activities the destination offers.
21. The Teams are free to choose the activities so long as they are within these safety limits prescribed by Cebu Pacific and its Organizers:
- No bungee jumping.
- No swimming in open waters after 6:30 pm.
- No unauthorized/unsupervised interaction with wildlife.
- No trespassing in prohibited areas.
- No mountain-climbing without a guide.
- No cliff-diving.
- No reckless activities that can cause danger or harm to themselves or other participants.
22. Special Fun Challenges are also set up in each destination for the teams to accomplish in order to earn extra points and prizes. Each Special Fun Challenge is characteristic of the destination where it is set up and it may be physical or mental in nature. These Challenges are scheduled to be accomplished minutes upon arrival at the destination and with the instructions of the Team Marshal. After which, they are free to set off on their own to do as many other activities, including finding a hotel if necessary, until the next flight.
23. Each team’s activities are monitored via the log sheets they are required to accomplish and turn in to their Team Marshal by the end of the day along with receipts or proofs of purchase. Log sheets list the activities and expenses.
24. Teams are not allowed to make arrangements with family and friends for free accommodations, food, transportation, or pocket money for use in any activity that will be entered as official activity. They can choose to save on their allowance by camping out, walking instead of paying for fare, etc.
25. Part of the Challenge is to document the fun adventure in photos and videos.
26. Point-and-shoot and video cameras as well as peripherals (batteries, charger, memory cards) will be provided on loan and must be returned by the end of the Challenge. Lost or damaged equipment will be for the account of the team.
27. Photo or video of each activity is required as proof. No photo or video will render the activity invalid.
JUDGING AND AWARDING
28. Criteria for judging:
70% – Fun Activities
30% – Budget Friendliness
29. Judging will be based on log sheets, photos, and videos and validated by the Team Marshal. A panel of judges will deliberate on the reports and decide on one (1) winning team.
30. Awarding happens at the last stop of the trip on September 2, 2012.
31. Winning team gets four (4) round-trip ticket to any local (except Caticlan) or international destination per team member.
32. All prizes are tax-free, transferable, and may not be converted to cash.
33. Prizes, in the form of travel certificates, may be claimed within 60 days from date of announcement of winners. A valid ID must be presented to claim the prize.
34. Travel certificates may be exchanged into confirmed ticket itineraries six (6) months from the issue date. These are valid for travel six (6) months from exchange date. Travel is subject to embargo periods and Cebu Pacific Air terms and conditions.